Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pokemon and Me, Part 1

POKEMON AND ME: Part I out of III


I'm doing this out of pure fun, but more so to clear out some things in the Fandom that I, myself, need to get straight.

First I will go over my favorite Pokemon that came within each generation. Each time a game has come out (or will) I always look forward to seeing the new Pokemon, not only because they are new monsters to catch, raise, breed and battle, but because there is always one Pokemon I look forward to catching and raising as part of my team (though sometimes I never do).

I'm proud to say that I have been, and still am a loyal fan to series, even if I don't agree with some of the Pokemon they have made. So, let's get to it!

Gen I: (Red, Blue, Yellow)
Favorite: It was the first time that the series came out, so like many other children I had multiple favorites. They varied from Clefairy (mildly), Jigglypuff and Growlithe, all cute
Pokemon. The one that I loved the most, though, and did catch and trained when the series came out (or more so "Rare Candy Trained") was Gyrados.
I know, I know. Some people go "what?" when I tell them this, but yes, Gyrados was my favorite. I remember I even went far, far out of my way to get his card! He is just super cute, not to mention way awesome! I think I trained him in all my games up to Gold/Silver, though I did train him in Ruby as well. Sadly, I haven't used him in some time since I grew up and realized that Pokemon have Attack and Special Attack stats and Gyrados doesn't learn any real 'attack' based moves (not til Gen IV, and even then that kind of wasn't enough)...

Maybe I'll train one again someday, starting from a Magikarp like I always have. Who knows?

Gen II: (Gold, Silver, Crystal)

When Gold and Silver came out I was super excited. I mean, how could I not be? These were the first of many new Pokemon to come, not the same old boring ones that I had been playing with over and over! I remember getting my first glimpse of them in a magazine and seeing their Japanese names... and the first of the few that were 'revealed' where the starters, Dunsparce (lame), Houndour and, of course, my favorite of Gen II, not to mention all Pokemon: Murkrow


I think they have to be the best and most endearing Pokemon that I have ever seen. I mean, c'mon! Look at the little witch hat and broom tail!!! And the fact that they like to lead people into the forest and get them lost (source: PokeDex) is complete madness. I love it!

I think when G/S/C came out I was still somewhat unawares to the fact that a Pokemons stats mattered, so I did use them. They were far in the game, though, so I had my best friend Erik, who luckily had beaten the game catch me one and we traded. I still wish I had that Murkrow to this day, and it might be that sheer fact that I waited to play the game (I got satisfaction by watching my cousins play it) to get him was my first sign of devotion to this silly game of why he might be my favorite. After, though, when Ruby/Sapphire came out is when I think I came to my senses and started noticed the stat factor... and is when I never really used him again until Diamond/Pearl... Can you imagine how happy I was when I saw he had an evolution? WOO-HOO!

So even now, in Black/White he remains my all time favorite, despite his low stats, sucky ability and the fact that he can be taken down as easy as a Caterpie. :D

Gen III: (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald)

By far my favorite in the series, Ruby and Sapphire added a lot to the games. Sure, the Pokemon looked a bit unoriginal, but an adamant fan I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, too. Not only did I warm up to the Pokemon and games (after all, favorite in the series), but it proved to be the biggest challenge in the games. Maybe it was the fact that I started noticing stats and breeding, but it could of also been abilities and new type match ups that helped me along.

When it came time to pick a starter I hated them all (though now I love them, of course), so after finally choosing Mudkip I wandered til I found a Poochyena. Now, I might add that I didn't "see" any of the Pokemon prior to the game so they were all new to me, and this first Pokemon I ran into helped me finish the game. I instantly fell in love with it and caught it, storing my Mudkip in the PC Box (until much later) and raising the Poochyena. Sure, he wasn't the strongest, but he was cute and learned some good moves (Iron Tail, Shadow Ball)... and to be honest, he helped me out a lot in the Elite Four, one of the most accursed Elite Fours of the games I've faced (I KNOW, RIGHT?! A Mightyena!!).... So, he by far is a favorite to add to any team of mine. If he were in D/P and B/W I would have raised him, too, but hopefully this will be fixed if they remake R/S....

Look at the bugger! AWWW!

Gen IV: (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum)

With Diamond and Pearl near on release I decided to spoil it and look at the Pokemon they had... mind you, I didn't get far because I didn't like most of them, same as R/S... though, in the end obviously they grew on me....

Still, Murkrow was to be in the game, so I figured, "why not?"... not to mention I saw a Pokemon that I decided was my favorite for the series as well. That didn't hurt, did it?





I didn't think so. It also helped that I got him (and Murkrow) super early in the game, so I actually finished Diamond! Woo! Too bad he has a poor move pool, though...

Gen V: (Black, White)

Black and White came out not too long ago and I have barely beaten it... it took me awhile, though, since I had to get accustomed to a lot of things: New Pokemon, New Moves, Stupid Powrerful Foes when you didn't need them as well as weak foes when you wanted a challenge...

I had a lot of Pokemon I loved, though... Sandile, Emboar, Herdier... I mean, I love Woobat and Mincinno!! They are SO cute! One, though, whom I really like most out of the rest will have to be Sawsbuck. I don't really care for the first form, Deerling, but he is a really cool Pokemon. Not only is he one of my favorite types (grass) but he is super cool looking! I mean, he changes with the seasons!



Sadly, I have not raised one yet... they came far too late in the game (I won't raise a Pokemon if I catch it past Level 17)... and by then I had already caught too many Pokemon in my party... In fact, White was more of a "get used to the game" game... I mean, I haven't caught a Woobat, either. Hopefully they will come out with a third version (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum)... then I will have a party I actually like, and not one meant to win and kick major ass. Yes, White is just my test dummy.

So, here is to future games! And beyond that I can't wait to see more Pokemon that will be added to the franchise... and I hope it never ends.

DV, OUT

No comments: